You can have Sardine Kabayaki using 9 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sardine Kabayaki
- It’s 4 fillets of Sardines.
- It’s 1 of Katakuriko.
- It’s of Kabayaki sauce.
- You need 3 tbsp of Soy sauce.
- It’s 3 tbsp of or 1-2 tablespoons if you prefer your sauce to be less sweet Sugar.
- You need 3 tbsp of Sake.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Mirin.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Water.
- Prepare 1 of shiso leaves, daikon radish sprouts, or julienned cucumber Toppings.
Sardine Kabayaki instructions
- These are the sardines..
- Cut the head off..
- I believe that "kabayaki" means that fish should be butterflied from the back of it, so I cut the back open (I used my fingers to open it). You can off course open from the bottom..
- Take the guts and spine out, rinse well, and pat dry with paper towels..
- Coat the fish with katakuriko..
- Add oil to a skillet and pan-fry both sides of the fish. Cook the "meat" side first..
- Once it is done cooking, take it out from the skillet..
- Combine the ingredients for the kabayaki sauce..
- Add the sauce mixture from Step 8 in a skillet and bring it to a boil..
- Add the sardine from Step 7 in the skillet, and take care to dip only the flesh of the fish into the sauce. Then you're done..
- This amount of the sauce should be enough for 4 sardine fillets..
- The sauce maybe too concentrated for small children. Adjust the taste by not letting it simmer too much at Step 10 or adding more water to the sauce..
- Large-sized sardines have big bones, so you should remove those. You can also ask the grocer to fillet the fish for you..