Lotus Root Tempura Stuffed with Pork.
You can have Lotus Root Tempura Stuffed with Pork using 18 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Lotus Root Tempura Stuffed with Pork
- You need 1/4 stalk of Green onion (NEGI) or onion.
- It’s 1/2-1 tsp of Fresh ginger, grated.
- Prepare 350 g of Lotus root (2 whole roots).
- Prepare 200 g of Ground pork.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Flour.
- Prepare of <Tempura batter>.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of Flour (cake or pastry flour if you have it).
- It’s 1/4 cup of Potato starch (Katakuriko).
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Baking powder.
- You need 120 ml of Sparkling water or water.
- Prepare of <Dipping sauce>.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Grated ginger (optional).
- It’s 1 tsp of Rice vinegar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Sugar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- You need to taste of Karashi mustard.
Lotus Root Tempura Stuffed with Pork step by step
- Lotus roots! I used two small 🙂 You can easily peel the out skin with a regular peeler..
- Peel and slice lotus into thin slices (about 3mm or so)..
- Grate ginger and mince onions..
- Soak lotus in water for 5-10 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towel..
- Meanwhile, mix ground pork with onion, ginger, salt and flour. Then sandwich a spoonful of the meat between two slices of lotus root..
- Repeat until all lotus "sandwiches" are done..
- Mix flour, potato starch, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl..
- Heat frying oil over medium to until hot enough to fry, about 170C/325F if you have a thermometer.
- When ready to fry, mix sparkling water (or just cold water) into flour until you get a consistency of heavy cream (it was about 120 ml for me)..
- Dip each lotus sandwich into the batter. Let excess batter run off before frying..
- Fry until batter is crisp and meat is cooked – a couple minutes each. Cut one in half to check the meat if you're worried..
- The tempura batter should turn out light and a bit poofy!.
- Mix soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and ginger (if using) for dipping sauce. Slice each lotus sandwich in half and serve with dipping sauce and karashi mustard. Yum!.